Discord Server Law
Discord Server Law is the culmination of the rules and regulations set forth by the community and Head Administrator of the Discord server. It dictates in entirety, the actions and things you are allowed to do on the server. Discord server law is divided into a hierarchy of roles with each role having varying levels of permission and power.
The current Server Constitution establishes a tiered legal system, whereby one is governed by a set of laws on a server level, and also a set of laws depending on what faction they're in. The laws which comprise the server level are known as Sovereign Laws, and are established by both the Discord Sovereign Acts and the server constitution.
- Any form of discrimination is strictly prohibited. (D.S.A. No. II §II)
- It is illegal to perform any action with malicious intent which is disruptive or destructive to the server, or server activities. (D.S.A. No. III §I)
- It is illegal to commit any act which constitutes the definition of harassment on the server. (D.S.A. No. IV §IIa)
- No one shall be able to have their privacy interfered with, and no one shall be subjected to attacks upon their honor or reputation. (D.S.C. Art. I §10)
- No one can be denied their right to think freely, and follow their own conscience. (D.S.C. Art. I §11)
- No one can be subjected to cruel and unusual punishments. Further, a punishment shall not be allowed to exceed that which is required for correcting someone's actions. (D.S.C. Art. I §12)
- Generally, members should refrain from using the general discussion channel for communications to people in their own faction. However, small, non-excessive communications are permitted. (D.S.A. No. I §III)
- One must refrain from broadcasting any loud or disruptive noises in any voice channel. Those who fail to satisfy this requirement may be moved to an AFK channel. (D.S.A. No. VII)
- One must refrain from spamming, posting similar or repetitive messages, or otherwise engaging in high-volume message posting. (D.S.A. No. X §I)
- One must refrain from mass mentioning or using @ everyone or @ here for light and transient causes. (D.S.A. No. X §II)
- It is prohibited to post sexually explicit material outside of channels not designated for such types of material. (D.S.A. No. X §III)
- One may not commit any act constituting the definition of Obstruction of Justice. (D.S.A. No. VIII §III)
- One is required to comply with any formal directives issued by the head administrator. (D.S.C. Art. II. §8)
- One is required to comply with any factional legislation enacted by the faction to which you belong. (D.S.C. Art. III. §6)
Factional laws are laws that only apply when you're posting or acting within a particular faction. Factional laws are not written to apply outside of the faction they were written for, and they in fact can't: D.S.C. Art. IV §1 and §2 explicitly forbid this. Factional laws are allowed to reach beyond the confines of the constitution, at least slightly. Any such law created in this fashion may be subject to scrutiny by the head administrator too, but the laws listed here have been reviewed and passed by members of the factions. Additionally, the constitution specifies that the head administrator can use discretion when vetoing factional laws.
Tipian Factional Rules
- It is not permitted to post images of or relating to My Little Pony. (T.F.L. No. III §1)
Yggdrasillian Factional Laws
- You may not post excessively unless the faction members mutually agree to such behavior in an explicit manner. (Y.L. No. III §IIA and §IIB)
- You may not cause grief to other people. (Y.L. No. III §IIC)
- You can't use bot commands in any channel other than the designated bot channel unless the command in question holds a purpose pertaining to someone other than you. (Y.L. No. III §IID)
- It is illegal to disrupt communications by any means, including unintentional ones. (Y.L. No. III §IIE) While it is technically illegal, discretion is often used on the part of administrators when someone cannot help it. However, in situations where it is impossible to communicate as a result, action is usually taken in the form of moving someone to AFK.
General Description of the Law
The vast majority of the legislative power is established in the Discord Server Constitution Article III. The way that the legal system works is relatively straightforward:
- The Discord Server Constitution acts as the supreme law of the server. It lays out the framework for the rest of the legal structure. In some cases, the constitution can be used to limit the power of Discord Sovereign Acts or Factional Legislation. The constitution describes the following:
- The Head Administrator acts as a sovereign to all on the server. Their word acts effectively as final say, although their power is not without limits.
- The Head Administrator maintains a group of people known as the cabinet. The cabinet acts as a group who although elected by the head administrator, act to assent or dissent to the opinion of the head administrator. These assenting or dissenting opinions are taken into account when passing or vetoing sovereign legislation.
- The cabinet is headed by a single person known as the Head of the Cabinet. He or she has administrative rights over every part of the server too, but they can act as an assistant to the Head Administrator, or even in place of them if need be.
- The other members of the cabinet are governors. Governors have partial sovereignty over a group or "faction" within the server. Further, governors have the ability to create special laws called Factional Laws, legislation which can effect the faction to which the governor belongs.
- Factional laws must be reviewed by the Head Administrator before they can pass, and the Head Administrator can veto factional laws, but they must provide a logical reason for doing so.
Reading Legal Citations
What's all this D.S.A. and D.S.C. stuff about? Well, if you are referring to things like this:
D.S.A. No. X §III
Then that's a legal citation. Similar to citing a book or an article when writing a paper, there is a standardized way to cite the legal documentation on the server.
There are two common forms of citation. The first is for the D.S.C. or Discord Server Constitution:
The second is for referencing the D.S.A.s or Discord Sovereign Acts:
Laws by Hierarchical Power Level
The following are the various divisions of the legal structure of the discord. The Discord Server Constitution is on top, followed by any Discord Sovereign Acts, followed by any Factional legislation.